RLA has announced that on all new tenancies from 1st July 2020, five-year safety checks will be mandatory for all landlords.
The mandatory five-year safety checks will be rolled out to existing tenancies from April 2021, with failure to comply incurring a fine of up to £30,000.
Advice is as follows:
Once electrical installation has been tested, a written report will be required from the inspector (which must include the results and next inspection date).
A copy of this must then:
- Be given to tenants within 28 days
- Be given to the local authority, if it asks for one, within seven days
- Be kept and given to the person carrying out the next inspection
For new tenancies, the landlord must:
- Give the tenant a copy of the most recent report prior to move in
- Be able to provide any prospective tenant, who asks for it in writing, a copy within 28 days.
Consequences of non-compliance can be seen outlined here.
Further information can be read in full here.